I think the game could do with random events which could give it a nice challenge and help break up the repetitiveness and predictability.
There are a number of things that happen in the real world that could spice the game up a bit:
- Destinations closing due to bad weather or other situation.
- The airport you are playing (assuming you’ve unlocked at least 2) closing due to bad weather, or maybe only aircraft of a certain size can still get out.
- Aircraft returning back to your airport for a medical emergency, costing you more to service the plane again.
- Flights being diverted to another airport. Not only delaying the plane getting to it’s destination but costing you more.
- Flight stuck at the gate due to the flight crew being missing or delayed waiting for passengers.
- Arrivals interrupted for an emergency landing.
- Some sort of emergency forcing a taxiway or the runway to close - that could be linked to a mini-game to deal with the situation.
Some of these would clearly be a lot easier than others to implement!!
I’d suggest a global pandemic grounding flights around the world and reducing them by 50% or more but that just seems unrealistic…