Aviation Talking Point

Yeah, but man they aren’t having a good day. Like a quarter of their fleet grounded for the second time in two years. I work at PDX and the whole south apron is just littered with empty Alaska and United MAX 9s

3 Likes

In fact I am even fed up with Boeing delaying to certificate the 737-Max7 and 10 and the 777X as well as 787 production and since that the 737-Max9 is grounded due to its Plug doors only made it worse even Ryanair CEO may consider to cancel the 737-Max and many switches to the A320 which they actually do have the A320 in service if Boeing keeps delaying 737Max delivery

1 Like

It’s not Boeing delaying that, it’s the FAA. Big difference

2 Likes

I’ve been to PDX a couple of times. Nice airport…

3 Likes

What is your favorite airport guys
Mine is jfk

Mine is a draw between yvr and lhr. Yvr has one of the most unique interiors of any airport and until Canadian airports developed an allergy to proper baggage handling, was considered a top 10 airport in the world. Lhr is just lhr and it is also the airport outside of Canada I have been to the most

favorite airport, that’s a tough one as i have been to quite a few over my life time. Favorite smaller airport is MBJ… only been there twice, but they are spending a lot of money on upgrading it, plenty of gates with airbridges and a wide variety of arrivals. It’s kind of SXM like, but i’ve never been to SXM. I’d also add PDX into that category… Honorable mention for LGB as you can board to the rear of the aircraft, which is a novelty, at least for my travel experience anyway.

Bigger airports… I’m a little biased here but I am going to go with BOS… it’s a simple set up for 40m pax a year, the only downside is the connectivity between A and E for Delta International, it’s a PITA…and I absolutely want to mention AMS… if you are flying Delta from the US and connecting to KLM, can’t beat it…

Dublin or Shannon is good for connection as there is US pre clearance while going to the US which makes the flight a Domestic flight

I personally like Manchester airport as it’s quite a large airport and there is even an Aviation park where there is a Trident, BAE, Concorde and the front from a DC10. I been there before, I don’t know if I have some pictures of it which I was there around 2018.

With MAN being my local, I personally think the viewing park is overpriced, and the new private terminal being built in place of the primary spotting mounds has only soured my opinion on the visitor centre as it is really hard to get decent photos above the fence line, which was rather easy before the old mounds got removed. The preserved aircraft are interesting, especially the tours of G-BOAC. If you go spotting at MAN again I’d highly recommend visiting Southside, excellent views over the airport and normally a lot quieter despite being one of the most well known spotting locations.

East Midlands also has a visitor centre like MAN, although it’s more of an aviation museum with a large number of preserved military and civil aircraft on display, so that’s also worth the visit if you ever get chance to go

1 Like

When did that private terminal was built? I am assume it was after 2018.

Yeah it’s a recent addition, it opened sometime between 2019 and 2021 I think

1 Like

LHR has 2 runways while IAD has 4 how dose LHR function compared to IAD

Does anyone here collect model airplanes? If so, do you guys buy from:
-Geminijets
-Daron
-ngmodels
-herpa wings
-other

1 Like

I have now 5 1:200 from GeminiJets (Gemini200). I love their quality! The molding and paint are spot on, and most of them with decent size engines have spinning fans and articulated landing gear. I got them over the years too. A FedEx B777F, an Allegiant Air B752, a United B763W, a United E175, and now the An-225 (RIP; humongous in 1:200!). They’re all solid metal so quite heavy.

1 Like

I’ve got a considerably large collection of herpa snap fits, from an American 777 to a TUI 787.

1 Like

Most of my collection is NG, but I have models by Gemini, JC Wings, Panda and Phoenix. Most recent addition to my collection is a Gemini Jets Jet2holidays A321neo, which unlike a lot of Geminis more recent releases is actually pretty good with no printing errors or defects

2 Likes

Absolutely go for NG, Gemini has similar detail but awful quality control. No other manufacturer comes close in detail

2 Likes

I have a mix of Gemini and NG, 1:400 because you can’t collect at 200 unless you are willing to spend an obscene amount of money. Sold my old planes from others to replace with ng

2 Likes

Yeah, the 1:200 chips hard at the wallet, hence why I only have like 5 after 10 years of collecting lol (and the wife keeps me in check).

1 Like